Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Week 21: Beira

Your emails this week were OSUM! You guys had me laughing in front of the entire internet cafe haha. Thanksgiving in Mexico sounded like  quite the week. Im a bit jealous, but it would be hard to top the Thanksgiving we had here. We went crazy and took 2 hours for lunch instead of the usual 1! Haha but seriously it was actually nice. The 6 of us at the house made a bunch of fried chicken, pre-packaged mashed potatoes, pudding pie, and home-made pizza. It was actually a super tasty meal, but super unhealthy. Also we made a pact at the beginning of the meal that all the food was going to be finished before we went back to work unless we threw up. You know the typical 19/20 year old boy thing to do. Well apparently I am the only one in the house that is good for my word because I am the only one that went hard enough to throw up haha. Everyone was complaining that they were too full to help finish all the food so I put the team on my back. Ended up throwing it up but I have never seen the Elders in the house laugh so hard as when I was throwing up haha. So I guess it was worth it... none of us will forget this Thanksgiving now.
 
Other than that the week was pretty normal. The only other notable thing I can really think of is I got in a dance battle with a drunk guy the other day. Everyone we pass in the road is basically drunk so usually I dont pay them any mind, but this guy was just too good not to join in. I cant even describe to you how redicuouls this dude looked doing his little African dance, but I just hopped in and started being outrageous too. Ya I know probably not the best representation of a missionary in the moment, but we are all human right? If it justifies it, I got a standing ovation and you know they will never forget went the aozungo (white boy) dance battled the drunk guy!
 
The area is going. There is always more work to be done and never enough time in the day/week. Sad news, our best family, Armando e Graca, arent going to get married and baptized this week. They had some super wierd family issues pop up with his ex-wife and what not, I still dont understand the situation very well, but they have to wait until July to get married. That means we stopped teaching them because we can use our time with them if they arent progressing. It sucked a lot doing that because I legit love them. They are such a great couple. They promised to keep reading, praying, and coming to church every week , which they did this week, but then again every family says that. I hope they prove us wrong ya know? Joao e Zinha are doing great. They are in the middle of all the marriage documents right now and look good for a wedding on the 20 and baptism on Christmas Day! 
This Saturday we should have 5 baptism. No families, just 4 youth, and one 23 year old woman. It will be nice to see some of our investigators finally baptized. This month is looking good. After this week the baptism should just keep coming with at least 2 scheduled for each of the next 3 weeks! The Lord is working Miracles.
 
I am reading in Alma as part of my personally study lately. It is super fun to read about Ammon, Alma, Mosiah, and all the other missionaries that went and preached the Gospel. They had some pretty sweet experiences and reading about those as a current missionary is nice. I really like Alma 30. Alma goes off on Korihor. What stuck out to me was verses 8/9. Choose ye this day whom ye will serve. It is our choice who we are going to follow and if we want to receive the blessings of the Lord or not. Also he talks about how serving God is a
privilege, it is a privilege to get to believe in Him. It really is
because through that He just continually blesses us and lets us enjoy serving Him.
 
Thanks for the great emails this week! I love you all and am getting super stoked to skype on Christmas!!!!!!! Until next week.
 
 Much Love,
 Elder Hruby

Elder Hruby with a new convert at his baptism :) 


Elder Hruby has been doing some major walking...his shoes are all worn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment