Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Week 1: MTC

We got our first email from Elder Hruby and it was better than we could ever have imagined. He is doing so well and his Portuguese seems to be coming along amazingly! 
Dear Everyone,

There is so much to tell, so asking a million questions isn't annoying! I'll just run you through my typical schedule and what has happened each day so far. So far the schedule follows the general pattern of: 630 wake up, 0700 get to classroom to study, 745 go to breakfast, 815 back to classroom, the morning class period we usually have our teacher so we learn Portuguese and how to be better missionaries, 1230 lunch, 115 second class block where we usually don't have a teacher so I read the Book of Mormon a lot or companion study or language study or whatever that is worth my time, 415-515 gym (the main gym is under construction until the 21st so haven't gotten a good workout yet and the sports here suck cause they won't let us keep score), 545-630 dinner, 630-925 last class block is similar to the second class block, 930-10 shower and stuff, 10-1015 companion study/planning, 1015-1030 quiet reflection time (I write in my journal). 1030 lights out!

It's quite the schedule, and the days do seem like they drag on, but I feel like I have an incredible advantage over all the missionaries here because of my year at the Academy. It's crazy I'm the oldest Elder in my zone! I also got called to be the District Leader the second night. My district has 8 Elders in it, and my zone has several districts in it totaling around 30 Elders and Sisters. It sounds more glorious than it is, but they really just called me because when they found out I was a cadet they figured I could be responsible haha. It is nice though because all the other Elders think I am something special. They always say "oh shoot Elder Hruby is a cadet", or "Elder you are huge!". Needless to say I am getting quite the ego boost:) My companion is named Elder Jordan Ence. I thank Heavenly Father every night for giving him me as my companion. He is so great! He is extremely laid back, kind, and has a humble demeanor but possesses an amazning story and testimony. We get along great. He is 6'3" and 220lbs so sports are an easy talking point with him. 

So what I have done so far... Wednesday after administration stuff my District (8 Elders) met in our classroom and met one of our teachers, Brother Belchoir. He is from Mozambique! He started talking in Portuguese and yes we did learn and speak in Portuguese that first hour! The rest of Wednesday was just orientation stuff.Thursday we did more language and BoM study in the classroom and had a Zone/Branch meeting in the evening to meet our Branch Presidency. Our President, Brother Brough, is a Nazi Mormon. We definitely have to most strict and tough branch in the MTC, but it's not really a big deal. Friday we taught our first investigator... in Portuguese! It was probably awful but Elder Ence and I taught Carlos about the basic Plan of Salvation. Saturday we has a service activity at 730, it was really just cleaning toilets yay! After that we had our normal schedule and taught Carlos again. We said a prayer to help us teach by the Spirit and not try to sound fluent but instead just sound like we care and mean what we say. It worked. That second lesson was so much more impactful and spiritual. Sunday was a nice break from the constant brain cramps of studying. I am already well into 2 Nephi in the BoM, I restarted on Friday. Yesterday was the best day I have had here, and to be honest a top 10 day in my entire life. I have never been so calm and at peace as I was yesterday. The amount I felt the Spirit was unimaginable. We taught Carlos our third lesson and committed him to be baptized!!!! These aren't real investigators they are members of the church that we teach but they completely play the role and make you actually work and teach and mean what you say, so when he said yes to being baptized I almost cried. I know I am a baby, but it was the most joyful feeling that I felt for him. Then the evening class our District kind of just had a three hour Gospel discussion. We talked about all sorts of things and I just felt so happy the whole time. There is a special Spirit here. I heard that at the entrance doors of every building here at the MTC there are 2 Stripling Warrior Angels guarding the doors so that no unclean spirits can enter. I believe it.

I miss you all, but I am doing osum (Grant's way of saying "awesome")! I am so happy to get emails and letters from everyone. 
Meu testimono e Eu sei que o Livro de Mormon e verdadeiro, sei que o amor de Deus e amor de Jesus Cristo e eterno, sei que familias e eterno tambem, sei que Jesus Cristo e meu Salvador. Eu amo voces! 
Translated: "My testimony is that I know the Book of Mormon is True. I know the love of God and Jesus Christ is eternal. I know that families are eternal too. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior. I love you guys!
I love you all! Sorry there are no pictures, there isn't wifi and I haven't figured out how to get them on these computers. Maybe next week! Chow!!

Love,
Elder Hruby

Elder Hruby and some of the Elders in his district

Elder Hruby and his companion Elder Ence

No comments:

Post a Comment